Friday, May 22, 2015

restaurants underrated: BigFood.

hello you,

My baby brother is obsessed with the existence of Bigfoot, so much to the extent that he would google "is bigfoot real?" on my boyfriend's phone. So when I told him I was bringing him to Bigfood for dinner, he was over the moon. Until he saw the signboard, hahaha.


Bigfood is located in Taman Kolam Ayer, pretty near my house. I first discovered it when I was still going to REPS Fitness, keyword is was. I no longer do. Back to Bigfood, it is actually the other end of REPS and it's a corner lot, so it's pretty hard to miss. Sorry I went at night and it was drizzling so I couldn't get a better shot than this.


Glass doors welcome you at the doorstep, it's a normal weekday and it was raining pretty heavily a while back so the restaurant wasn't too packed. Trust me, other days when I drove past it, it is super packed, even the second storey is full.



The interior, very simple, but we came for the food so it was good enough for me. There's a play area too for the kids, so parents can eat in peace. 




What actually caught my eyes were the wide array of bakes on their mini fridge. Cakes, brownies and puddings. Way too many. Their bakes are actually by Petals & Bakes, and I actually want to go back and try all of them. 



Our drinks, as you probably already know, I'm not particular about beverages at all. Maybe because they tend to fill you up then you have less space for food, so I usually just share my drinks. However, alcohol is an entirely different story. But anyway, we ordered Ribena Longan and Milo Panas.




Okay, this dish might not be the most photogenic but it's the most special one. You know some days you want to have cabonara, but you don't think you can finish it all because it tends to get pretty gelak at the end. But you don't want bolognese because it's too bland. Tada! Bigfood gives you the best of both world, combining the ying and yang of Cabonara and Bolognese! It's pretty interesting to your taste buds if you mix them together, which was what I did. However, the portion is extremely big, so only order if you're sharing. Don'e expect italian restaurant standard for the pasta, I mean, you're in a cafe after all. But I would say it's pretty decent, the spaghetti was cooked just right (not al dente, unfortunately) and the sauces are pretty ok. I would think the kids would love it.


The picture makes it looks like it's salted egg crab, but it's really just butter chicken! I have tried fried pork ribs with milk powder and it was heavenly, so I had pretty high hope for this Butter Chicken. Fortunately, it didn't disappoint! The gravy was thick and buttery, but not too overwhelming. The toast they provided were coated with another layer of butter, and it tasted extremely good with the gravy. This dish is so big it should be an entree instead of sides. If you like your chicken sweet and salty at the same time or you love salted egg everything, this is the dish for you. Less sinful than salted egg yolk I would say.


The boyfriend and I almost never say no to nasi goreng. I mean, no matter how badly done, a nasi goreng will still taste good right? He couldn't decide on whether to have nasi goreng kampung or nasi goreng tomyam, but I got to decide so I chose Nasi Goreng Tomyam with Soft Shell Crab, because well, I love soft shell crabs. Sadly, the soft shell crab was hard and bland, quite a disappointment. But nonetheless, the nasi goreng was good. Not too spicy, it's doesn't taste the most authentic thai tomyam, but I would say it's the type of malay tomyam that I like. Order just the nasi goreng without the crab I would recommend.


Here comes the bomb. Voted the favourite dish among the three of us, the Indomie Special. I love instant noodles, I can eat it all day everyday and I won't get sick of it. I love instant noodles so much that I created a hashtag #yesjunesinstantnoodlesadventures on instagram to document my love for instant noodles. So when I saw indomie on the menu, I knew I couldn't say no. Not only is this indomie special, it has beef and a sunny side up with it. What's even better, you can order single or double (portion). Obviously I ordered double. The noodle was springy, tasted amazing with the beef, it's almost a little bit oriental (like the beef chow mein in hongkong) but it's so good! Oh the chilli is even better, super kick. 



The three of us each took turns to have the noodles, and what's more convincing than a little boy slurping down the noodles. Trust me, do yourself a favour and order this.


The little boy's dessert, while the boyfriend and I were extremely full from all the food (we didn't finish all) the little boy insisted on having the Smores Pudding. I mean, I have to give in to him because seriously who can resist anything smores right? Sadly the portion was pretty small much less to the boy's liking. I thought it's just right, I mean it's super sweet (the melted marshmallow) and chocolatey (the choco pudding) so this little cup is just about right! More and you get sick (figuratively and literally).

Well, that was all that we had that day. Like the name of the restaurant, Bigfood indeed. So try not to be like us when you do visit, under order instead of over because the portions are huge!

I would certainly go back again, so if you're going, jio me along k?

Till the next pig out!

xox,
june.

0 comments:

Post a Comment