Friday, May 22, 2015

cafe hops: jwc老店,墨跡手沖館.

hello you,

I realised I have not been posting about my supposed cafe hopping guide since last year! Goodness gracious. Honestly, I have checked out quite a few cafes all these while, however some of them really kind of not that amazing. So I am contemplating if I should go ahead and post with my honest review, or to give them a few more tries before I write about them. Let me know what you guys think too!

Well, we all know jwc (just want coffee) is not a stranger in the cafe scene in JB, so naturally their newest addition caused quite a hype. Themed as a heritage cafe, Eh He is quite different from all the other outlets. Heritage-wise, it is not only located in one of the "old street" in JB, the whole building exudes a retro feel towards it. I shall let the pictures do all the talking.


Can I take a moment to say that I love love love signboard that uses those kinda old school lightbulbs. Very old Hollywood/broadway kinda feel. Super love. I want something like this installed in my future home. 


The shopfront. The sighboard so cool! So old cheena school. Bringing the cheena out of me man. 


The chinese name for the cafe. I supposed it translates to ink stains manual brewed cafe? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 


Where all the actions are. It's very interesting looking at them making the coffee. Sad that I don't drink coffee so I don't really understand the whole thing behind making a good cup of coffee. 


Staircase leading to a whole new world, wtf. The staircase also so nostalgic! I remembered my maternal grandparents' place had such staircase too! 


The seating areas are located upstairs. This is one "segment" of it. 


This part is slightly more spacious, so we chose to sit here. Very cool right, they even had the old hairdressing salons' chairs and table and mirror! 


Where we sat! I didn't get the memo that it's monochromatic day!


I'm going to start with the food first, because they did arrive before the beverages haha. This is the highly recommended tofu cheesecake. I personally prefer this to the signature cheesecake, simply well because it's fluffier and less "jelak". And the cheese is not too overpowering. 


The signature cheesecake, biasa saja I would say. Just the normal cheesecake you would expect anywhere else. 


This looks like a salad, but it is not entirely one. It's the garden pizza, which I assume is garden salad on pizza crust. They did not use mayo or mozzarella as dressing but their homemade tofu sauce. Quite refreshing and definitely healthy I would say. Good for sharing! 


The highly raved waffle! And it certainly lives up to the name. It's different from the usual waffle in the sense that it has sesame seeds infused in the waffle, so it has a lot more flavour especially with both black and white sesame, it's so crispy it almost tasted like cookies! The cream is the boyf's favourite, not so much of mine. But I like the butter with the waffle.  Very old school, the simple kind of goodness. 


Finally the drinks arrived! Since we went at night after dinner, none of us ordered coffee. We had the hot and iced chocolate instead. Oh, their menu is all in chinese, with lots of fancy schmancy names, so you would need the help of the crew to help explain to you what is available and what they are actually. I forgot the name of the chocolate, I think it has "meng4" in it, because the whipped cream on top has a tint of lavender, so I supposed it's to help with sleeping? The chocolate is very rich and despite the lavender scent, it does not "langgar" with the chocolate taste. 


This is a photo I took of the sweetest couple. Anyone couple wants me to do a shoot, I charge very low! 


Another shot I took of my favourite boy. Crazy about photography lately, recently bought a dslr, but has yet to use it yet! Any kind soul out there want to teach me a few tricks using it? Thank you many many in advance! 

Conclusion, I would recommend everyone to check this place out. There is also a small gallery that house a lot of photos and artifacts from the chinese community in JB. Very interesting and educational, even. Reminds me of the heritage tour I did back during secondary school days. Prices are slightly steep, but nowadays it's all about the ambience no? 

Till the next cafe hop! 

xox,
june

0 comments:

Post a Comment