Friday, May 22, 2015

restaurants underrated: Cafe Caffe.

hello you,

I am striving to bring you guys a restaurant review every fornightly, I'm trying my best but my resources are very limited. If you guys have any recommendations or any secret haunts you would love for me to check out, do leave me a comment or drop me an email on the sidebar and let me know! Thank you so much, because my brain juice is drying out!

Today I shall share with you guys my favourite restaurant in JB, it's really hard for me to share this out because this place has always been my hidden gem for years. I stayed at Taman Perling for almost 10 years, and this little restaurant has never failed to make me happy every time I'm there.


Cafe Caffe (or what my family and I affectionately call "uncle") is situated in Taman Perling, it's right beside Yew's cafe. Their signboard has changed recently, so it's pretty hard to miss. It might not look fancy schmancy, not even a little bit, but don't judge!



The interior of the restaurant, nothing impressive or "atas", this place feels almost like "Ciao Italia" in Perth that was highly raved by my friends. You know, cozy and homely restaurant. The best thing is, the restaurant is run by the owner's family and the chef is the boss. You know your food is going to be good when the boss is the chef!


The metal tray that you see wrapped up is the homemade tiramisu. I'm not a fan of dessert, but I've tried a few times with my mummy and brother (who are big tiramisu fans) and they love it.



Let's get started on the food! I have tried a lot (I mean, I've been there for years) but I'm going to share with you guys my "must order" items there!

First up, is the Mushroom Soup. Handmade from scratch, you can even taste big chunks of button and shiitake mushrooms in the soup as well. Not too creamy, but full of flavour. It might not be the most photogenic mushroom soup in the market, but beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and to me it's one of my favourite mushroom soup.


My photos quality will vary a little, because my very sweet boyfriend refused to charge my camera's battery, insisted that the battery will last, and it did not. It died on the second dish FML. So some of the pictures are taken on my phone in square format.

This is the Fried Mushroom, it came a little bit late that day, I usually have it as my appetiser. It's my top top favourite, despite having mushroom soup already, you must must order the fried mushroom. No it will not be mushroom overload, it will be a complement to the soup in actual fact. Super crispy, the mushrooms are super juicy. I love the batter, it's not too bland but yet not too salty. Dip it with the mayonnaise provided on the side and party in your mouth! Do not miss this dish, trust me. 



Homemade Breadsticks, I might not always order this depending on how much I've ordered, but this dish is a delight. The bread is homemade, crispy on the outside, soft and warm on the inside. Dip it in the tomato puree sauce provided and ooooooh perfection. The bread is also garnished with rosemary, so it's very fragrant when it comes out in the little basket. I love to eat the ones with the sides because it's extra crispy! 


This is my favourite pasta, Pasta Granchio, which is just pasta with crab. You can choose the base (creamy as pictured or tomato cream) and both are my favourite. There was a time I ordered both, and nope I did not get sick of it. I chose penne for this, and I highly recommend you to do so as well, because the sauce will actually be kept inside the tube and the sauce is super shiok! Spaghetti works but penne will be a better choice, trust me.

Don't expect chunks of crabmeat (I mean, this dish is below rm20) but the sweetness of the crab is still there and really, this dish needs not a lot of garnishes, just black pepper on the top and it's the best thing I've ever had. 


This, my friend, is the best dish in the entire menu. I am not even joking. It might not look like much but wait till you open it. Make a guess! 


It's Wrap Pasta! With loads of seafood no less! The pasta is actually cooked (baked) with a bit of stock and seafood (mussels, clams, prawns and squid) and is being baked all wrapped up. The gravy (stock with bits of garlic, mixed with the sweet sweet juice from the seafood itself) is heavenly, my boyfriend finished every single drop of it. I can't explain how it taste exactly, because it's mildly creamy and sweet and garlicky, but it is sooooooo good. It's a little fusion-ish, which I think everyone will enjoy. 


If you don't like you pasta creamy, or you don't like the slightly sour tomato base or you find aglio olio too bland, then this is the perfect dish for you. It might not be the cheapest in the menu, but it is worth every single cent. Trust me, I know I said this many times but you really must trust me. 

That's all that we ordered, the whole bill cost us less than RM80. Yes, I'm not joking. Super affordable yet super delicious, don't wait and go try it out yourself. As the restaurant is only run by a family, if you can, try to go slightly earlier than dinner time so you don't have to wait for long. 

Till the next pig out! 

xox,
june.






0 comments:

Post a Comment